Toasted Marshmallow. Salted Caramel. Nutella. Rice Krispies. I mean, are you drooling right now because I am!! Talk about everything and more that you would ever want in a Rice Krispie treat. I like to think of these as a grown up Rice Krispie treat, something you want to hide in the closet and eat without your little ones knowing. Yep, been there!
These “Grown Up” Rice Krispie treats were so good, our Golden Retriever, Duke managed to get a hold of them and ate not one, but two. Don’t worry, he was perfectly fine and gave me the look of, please mom don’t be mad, they were delicious!! My husband on the other hand, was sad he didn’t even get to try them. They were gone before he could manage to get one!
These are definitely a crowd pleaser and would be great for something different from the usual cookie at the Christmas party.
Toasted Marshmallow Salted Caramel & Nutella Rice Krispies
- 6 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 Stick Real Butter
- 2 10.5-oz. bags of minature marshmallow
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 ½ cups chocolate (I used semi sweet chocolate chips)
- 1 Tablespoon of vegetable shortening
- ½ of a 14 oz. bag of caramel bites
- Spray or line a 13×9 baking pan – set aside. Turn the oven on to Broil.
- Brown the Butter – In a saucepan, place the stick of butter and continuously stir the butter with a whisk over medium high heat until you get a nutty flavor and it is brown in color. Set aside when finished.
- Turn oven to Broil and spread the marshmallows on a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Toast the marshmallows until deep golden brown about a 1 minute. Watch carefully, because they will burn quickly.
- Scrape the marshmallows into a large pot. Add the brown butter and rice krispie cereal and combine. Press into the 13×9 pan with a spatula. Set aside to cool.
- In a small saucepan, melt the Nutella, chocolate, and the shortening over medium-low heat. Once the chocolate is melted, pour and spread evenly over the rice krispies. Let the chocolate set (about 30 minutes).
- Melt the caramel. I used Caramel Bites and followed the directions.
- Drizzle with a fork over the chocolate and sprinkle the sea salt over the caramel.